Go to page
25of 33,904
  • 188 messages
  • May 05, 2024 20:10
added
nlae
Never adjusting again because the choice has been made is no argument. It is not fatal, at most time consuming.
I don't want to become an administrator because I simply can't guarantee the time required. And as a member it is far too cumbersome to adjust large quantities. Otherwise I would be happy to do it.
Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
nlae
VIP+
  • 258 messages
  • May 05, 2024 19:54
added
prices
That's a bit short-sighted. I would call it progressive insight.
Just an example - Astronauts were abolished among the themes and the theme was removed in a flash - After cogent arguments, it was later added again - The consequence is that a few thousand items have to be adjusted one by one - This is in the context before you see it starts - I have edited about 100 myself - Who does the rest - Members or administrators? - Decisions are often made easily without considering the possible consequences - Conservativeness is appropriate and progressive insight is often fatal.
Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,408 messages
  • May 05, 2024 19:35
added
prices
info pages
reviews
Helv
Thank you for gathering all the comments into this proposal.

Raoul62
Since Jul stamps are already a special type within stamps, I understand your wish.
Think of a clear and concise addition to point 4 in the proposal.
Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 4,112 messages
  • May 05, 2024 18:55
added
prices
info pages
reviews
A small addition (deviation) would be desirable for a special case that occurs regularly in Julzegen areas.
In order to avoid discussions afterwards, this is explained here in anticipation. Before some zealous user starts branding them as 'DOUBLURE - not allowed'. That would be a shame.

A few examples: #9373679 #9725649 #9857767 #9379389

No collector would dream of tearing off one or two of those smaller stamps. The big one with its 2 little brothers belong together.
A real Jul seal collector would want to include it in his collection.
The problem is that there are 2 or 3 identical stamps in such a se-tenant appearance.

Can this be described so that they don't fly out?

The alternative is to reverse another decision and move jul stamps to the closing stamp section. Then there is no problem.
But we are guaranteed to have another, and bigger, problem.

Few of the participants in this thread may have ever looked for or viewed Jul stamps. But one day that will happen and then these items will 'stand out'.
I'll see what comes out later tonight.

Show original message
Helv
VIP
  • 1,826 messages
  • May 05, 2024 18:26
added
prices
info pages
reviews
Collectioneur to return to the se-tenant, it appears that the definition of az60 has largely held up.

A se-tenant is a combination of 2 or more different stamps, originating from a block, sheet or sheet that are still attached to each other. All stamps in a se-tenant differ from each other in image, color, value, print and/or other characteristics.

The following additions apply to LastDodo:
  1. Only the largest possible block or strip is allowed as a se-tenant. Smaller parts of the largest possible se-tenant are not permitted.
  2. If different combinations can be torn from one sheet, both in terms of order of the stamps and shape (horizontal strip, vertical strip, block), then only one item will be included on LD. Other combinations can be added as the following image(s) for illustration purposes.
  3. Vignettes are allowed in a se-tenant (there are at least two real stamps). All vignettes in a se-tenant differ from each other in image, color and/or other characteristics.

In the above I have combined old points 3 and 4. I have deleted the old point 5:
If multiple se-tenants can be formed from one sheet, where only the vignette is different, only 1 is allowed (others can be used as the next image(s)).
However, I do not know whether a consensus has been reached on the latter.

Show original message
  • 188 messages
  • May 05, 2024 17:59
added
Repeatedly returning to previously made decisions is the equivalent of no decision.
That's a bit short-sighted. I would call it progressive insight.
Show original message
  • 2,219 messages
  • May 05, 2024 17:53
added
prices
info pages
reviews
Don't varieties only apply within the same Country? Both the 1948 and 1952 stamps are stamps.

The dating of such an Issue group is indeed confusing, as long as you cannot mention a period (1948-1953) there.
And as long as the standard sorting within a country is not determined by the actual date of issue but by the year in the name of the Issue group, these stamps will be at the very top of the GDR.
Given the current possibilities, this may be counterproductive.
Show original message
Helv
VIP
  • 1,826 messages
  • May 05, 2024 17:52
added
prices
info pages
reviews
In any case, I have added links back and forth on the background page.
Show original message
  • 1,862 messages
  • May 05, 2024 17:51
added
prices
reviews
Is it useful or not to combine these stamps into 1 issuing group?

Doesn't seem like Helv to me. The difference, as you say, is the watermark. If you put them all together, this is of no use in my opinion. There are already enough variants.
Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,408 messages
  • May 05, 2024 17:49
added
prices
info pages
reviews
It would indeed be nice if you could apply a multi selection to a certain filter

Expansion of the filter and selection system is on our wish list. An .AND. and .NOT. filter option would certainly be very useful and also help in this discussion. Unfortunately we can't do magic.
Show original message
  • 4,112 messages
  • May 05, 2024 17:46
added
prices
info pages
reviews
Do they even belong in the Stamps section?

It 's a decision that was made , and it says why (in my previous post).
Good management always involves decisions.
You can consider a decision bad or good. Then always think: 'Better a bad decision than no decision. Without a decision, something won't last long.
A 'bad' decision can be personal, but it can be a 'good' decision for someone else. There are multiple sides to everything. Finding the right angle, that's the trick. Understanding the benefits of that angle is the next step.

Defending decisions taken (despite your own preferences that deviate from them) compared to those who do not master that art (and therefore not the next step) is one of the characteristics of strong leaders.
Populism and meandering is then more likely to be a characteristic of weaker figures.

Repeatedly returning to previously made decisions is the equivalent of no decision. That's always the same as admitting 'I don't really know' or 'I'll ask my mother again first'.
Sorry for those statements, I'm straight forward and I like juicy metaphors.
"Smile, or do you suffer from green" :) (something I still can't translate into Dutch)

Show original message
Helv
VIP
  • 1,826 messages
  • May 05, 2024 17:45
added
prices
info pages
reviews
stripspeldjes (and others) it sounds logical, but what I run into:
What then becomes seal and what becomes variety?

The CAR basic stamp "with watermark" is now under GDR with a further specification of the watermark as a variety (narrow and wide letters, orientation).

Should the date of the base stamp be changed to 1948 and the country " Allied Occupation - Germany [Russian zone] "? This means they are no longer visible in the standard overview of the GDR?

The same would happen if it were decided to remove the CAR base stamp and only include stamps with the exact watermark (and paper type). In that case too, the GDR will only have varieties that are not visible in the GDR.
Show original message
  • 2,219 messages
  • May 05, 2024 17:36
added
prices
info pages
reviews
I see no difference between the stamps of 1948 Personalities and 1952 Famous Persons .
So yes !
If they are in the same Issue group it becomes much easier for the layman to distinguish and correctly identify them.
Although there is information on the background page, it is rather inconspicuous. (And the automatic German translation of that text is partly incomprehensible.)
Show original message
  • 1,862 messages
  • May 05, 2024 17:33
added
prices
reviews
How can a stamp collector from the Netherlands filter out the city and regional mail and the personal stamps in an overview of a specific year?

Oh Raoul62, I think your diaper is too tight again. Use type for franking, for example filtering?.
Show original message
  • 4,112 messages
  • May 05, 2024 17:33
added
prices
info pages
reviews
I hear a penny drop...

A long time ago (I had only been active on LD for a few months) I had asked whether it would be possible to have a kind of 'personal' sheet in your account where you could indicate what you did or did not want to see in the stamp section.
Based on Type.
With a switch button for the selection (Standard / Own / All).

There are also stamp collectors who find it very annoying that all those EDB, FDC, MK, ... taint every overview.
There are MK collectors who do not want to see all that 'junk' (at least in their eyes) of stamps, booklets, combinations from booklets, se-tenants, series, ... (but they do want to see the rest).

That wasn't possible.

The next question was whether simple mathematical operations would make selections possible (And / Or / Not). whereby multiple selections must of course be possible in such a combination.

That was also not possible.

Countries/areas: this is provided. It exists.
The biggest problem areas were solved with the existing options.
initially it was all 'Cinderella'. Finally, the finishing touches were put into place. Right is right. You have Cinderellas, you have Jul stamps, and you have Illegal issues.
With that 'large' breakdown, the biggest problem was solved and it became manageable via the administrator interface (follow-up).

This is anticipatory, especially for illegal issues. Which has been used for years on Hipstamps, eBay, Delcampe and some other major ones. Not facilitating the sale of illegal products that puts the philately trade in a bad light. After all, there are also sellers on LD who have made a good living selling printed paper that is not a stamp. There was no brake whatsoever. Now it does (name and catalog value). LD does the necessary. No person responsible for the stamp section can ever get into trouble because of this.
Those other major sites ban such sellers. You can guess where they could go next (where they could continue uninhibited).
Moreover, it is becoming a phenomenal and much appreciated overview for philatelists, who can no longer figure out what is really illegal. You can find them in an overview on LD! You won't find something like that in Michel or Yvert. Well on LD.

By using the existing options we have killed several birds with one stone.

If there is ever a mature selection and filter option, the division can be reexamined.
But only if the selection and filter option is also present in the administrator module.
As an administrator, you still want to 'Manage', or is that not the intention?
Show original message
  • 2,219 messages
  • May 05, 2024 17:30
added
prices
info pages
reviews
No search results for Soviet Zone of Germany. Do you mean the Russian zone ?

;-P
Show original message
  • 188 messages
  • May 05, 2024 17:27
added
Is this an inherent problem if everything is under 1 country, or is it because the combination of filters and expressions are not (yet) possible?

It would indeed be nice if you could apply a multi selection to a certain filter (stamps and blocks, everything except personal stamps, etc., values 10, 10.00 and 10.00, etc.).

Show original message
  • 188 messages
  • May 05, 2024 17:23
added
Raoul62 Jul stamps are closing stamps.

Thanks for the explanation. Do they even belong in the Stamps section?
Show original message
Helv
VIP
  • 1,826 messages
  • May 05, 2024 17:13
added
prices
info pages
reviews
How can a stamp collector from the Netherlands filter out the city and regional mail and the personal stamps in an overview of a certain year?
Is this an inherent problem if everything is under 1 country, or is it because the combination of filters and expressions are not (yet) possible?

Show original message
  • 4,112 messages
  • May 05, 2024 17:13
added
prices
info pages
reviews
And don't answer 'click and scroll'! I can already hear you coming :)
How do you see 'easily filterable'?
Show original message
  • 4,112 messages
  • May 05, 2024 17:09
added
prices
info pages
reviews
Isn't it now well under the Netherlands? And everything is easily filterable.

aha, I'm going to learn!

Please explain to me briefly:
How can a stamp collector from the Netherlands filter out the city and regional mail and the personal stamps in an overview of a certain year?
He must click on 'All' or the booklets, postage stamps, sheets, FDCs and Maximum cards will not be shown.

Try to explain it for, for example, the Netherlands 2010-2010.
How do I find the 400 items (10 pages to go through) that interest me as a stamp collector among the 1,400 items (24 pages to go through).
Show original message
nlae
VIP+
  • 258 messages
  • May 05, 2024 17:08
added
prices
By merging per country you also undermine manageability - If someone now enters a Jul stamp with postage, you will see it immediately when opening the relevant section - This will then be set to standard instead of everything - Everything will soon be under the relevant country and in the text does not contain a Jul seal, you will never find the item - The same applies to the cinderellas - If everyone agrees with this, then this is more in favor of splitting up rather than merging.
Show original message
  • 4,112 messages
  • May 05, 2024 17:04
added
prices
info pages
reviews
First let's understand what a Jul seal actually is. Is that comparable to the Dutch Christmas stamp, which allows you to send Christmas mail at a reduced rate around the Christmas period?

No, they are not stamps that you could use to send mail.
You could decorate your correspondence with them, and in the Scandinavian countries they could also be stuck on the front, in addition to the valid postage.

Jul stamps are closing stamps.
They were made (starting in 1904 in Denmark) and sold to support tuberculosis control. To raise funds for a good cause. Other Scandinavian countries and the rest of the world quickly followed suit.
Such as the Christmas stamps from, for example, Canada that you can find in the Closing Stamps section ( #7641305 ) and, for example, this one from the Netherlands #2676193 .

A clear agreement has been made that for the Scandinavian countries these will be included in the Stamp section, and not in the Seal section.
Because:
1. this could also be affixed on the front next to the postage on correspondence (other seals were only allowed on the back, at least in principle);
2. the Jul stamp collecting phenomenon is very strongly linked to stamp collecting. For example, several pre-print albums make (and sell) pre-print sheets for them. What you do not have for, for example, the TBC stamps of the Netherlands or Canada.
They are usually issued around the Christmas period (people are milder then. The Christmas spirit opens up their wallets more easily).
Show original message
  • 1,862 messages
  • May 05, 2024 16:47
added
prices
reviews
The German City and Regional Post can mainly be found under Germany - Local Postal Areas.

This is a separate area Helv and has nothing to do with the current city and regional post. This area Germany - Local postal areas was abolished in 1946

The German city and regional post is under Germany - City and regional post (287)

For the Netherlands, about a quarter of all stamps (>7000) are now city and regional mail and it seems to be becoming clearer to split this up.

To split into Helv ?. Isn't it now well under the Netherlands? And everything is easily filterable.

Or do you also want to split the Personal stamp (7,653) . Everything is listed under the Netherlands and everything is easy to find. And in the Netherlands everything is mixed up, as some claim?. Not in my opinion.
Show original message
  • 4,112 messages
  • May 05, 2024 16:47
added
prices
info pages
reviews
Jul stamps are HOT on LD.
If you want to destroy the attraction (by merging it with the land), the conversion will also stop. That's marketing in its purest form.
Show original message
Go to page
25of 33,904